CHARLES W. STRONG
Charles W. Strong, a representative farmer of Roxand township, and an honored veteran of the civil war, has resided on his present homestead for forty years, having reclaimed his land from the forest, and he has gained a secure place in the confidence and esteem of the community. He was born in Atwater township, Portage county, Ohio, March 3, 1845, and is a son of Enos and Anna (Rose) Strong, the former of whom was born at Little York, on the Susquehanna river, Pennsylvania, and, though the subject of this sketch has not heard from him in about six years he believes that he is still living, at Akron, Ohio, and in such case is about ninety years of age. Anna (Rose) Strong was born in Portage county, Ohio, in 1820, and there passed her entire life, her death occurring in 1875. Enos Strong was a farmer throughout his active career, having owned a small farm in Ohio and having lived on the same for many years, finally removing to the city of Akron, to pass the residue of his life in well earned retirement. Charles W. Strong was reared on the farm and attended the district school, remaining at the parental home until he was sixteen years old, when he began working by the month, as a farm hand, thus continuing until he went forth to do service as a loyal soldier of the Union in the civil war. In the autumn of 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, but was rejected on account of his age. At that time the state militia in Atwater and Edinburg townships, Portage county, met two days each week for the purpose of drilling under the direction of an officer of the regular army and of this militia Mr. Strong was a member. October 8, 1863, at Ravenna, Ohio, he again, enlisted, becoming a private in Battery I, First Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, commanded by Colonel Barnett. As he had passed the required physical examination on the occasion of his original enlistment, this proved his eligibility, so that a second examination was not required. He went to the front with his command, and among the more notable battles in which he took part were the following: Wauhatchie, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Buzzard Roost, Dallas, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Bald Knob, Marietta, siege and battle of Atlanta, and Resaca. In the last mentioned engagement Mr. Strong was struck on the toe by a minie ball, the wound being slight, but it so aroused his ire that he wanted to rush in and fight hand to hand He was in the field hospital from November, 1864, until after the opening of the new year, and while he was thus incapacitated his regiment took part in the battle of Look-out Mountain. That winter was one of the exceptional rigor, and great suffering was entailed among the soldiers, rations also being meager, while many of the horses and mules died from starvation or cold. Mr. Strong continued in service until the close of the war, receiving his honorable discharge at Camp Dennison, Ohio. He saved about seven hundred dollars of his pay as a soldier and also had a small amount saved from his earnings as a farm employee. In 1866 he bought a team and wagon and drove through from Ohio to the homestead on which he now resides. He bought the eighty acres for the sum of six hundred and fifty dollars, trading in his team, for which he was allowed four hundred dollars, and giving mortgages for the remainder for the purchase price. The land was heavily timbered, about one acre having been cleared and a log shanty built. He lived in this little dwelling several years and then built his present house, a substantial log structure, with frame addition, and he contemplates building a good frame residence in the near future, having already purchased lumber for the same. He has reclaimed all but thirty acres of his land, the thirty acres being still covered with the first growth timber and being the best piece of woodland in the township. Mr. Strong is a stanch Republican, but has never been an aspirant for office. He is an appreciative member of the post of the Grand Army of the Republic of Mulliken, and he is known as a reliable and upright citizen. In May, 1868, Mr. Strong was united in marriage to Miss Elmira J. Rider, who was born in Stark county, Ohio, September 16, 1845, being a daughter of Rev. Jonathan and Anna M. (Boss) rider, the former of whom was born in Virginia, April 6, 1811, and the latter in Maryland, January 18, 1811. Mr. Rider, who was commonly known as :Elder" Rider, was a regularly ordained minister of the United Brethren church, and for many years traveled a circuit in Michigan. In 1855 he came to Michigan and secured a tract of wild land in Eagle township, Clinton county, reclaiming a considerable portion to cultivation and there remaining until after the death of his wife, which occurred February 20, 1870. In 1872 he came to Eaton county where he married Mrs. H. I. Moyer. The last two years of his life were passed in the home of the subject of this sketch, and his death occurred in 1888. Mr. and Mrs Strong have four children: Jonathan O., who is a farmer of Eagle township, Clinton county, and lives on the old homestead, married Miss Ella M. Howe, and they have three children; Newell O., who resides in the village of Mulliken, married Miss Iva David, and they have one child; Ross remains at the parental home and assists in the work and management of the farm; and Conger S. is employed in Eagle township, Clinton county.
Past & Present of Eaton County, Michigan -- Page 588 - 591
Copyright ©2001 -2008 All rights reserved.
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated
in any fashion without my consent.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. Individual genealogists may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY". It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster.