JOHN SHAVER maintained his home in Eaton County for more than forty years, and within this period he developed one of the valuable farms of Carmel township, where he resided until his death, October 12, 1903, when he passed to his reward, secure in the respect and veneration of those who knew him so long and so well. Mr. Shaver was a native of the old Keystone state of the Union, having been born in Pennsylvania, February 11, 1823, and being a son of David Shaver. In 1840, when the subject of this memoir was seventeen years of age, the family removed to Ohio, where he made his home until 1860, when he took up his residence in Eaton County, Michigan, settling on the farm where his widow and son Hulbert now reside. He had received a good common school education in Pennsylvania, and had been identified with farming after the removal to Ohio. When he came into the possession of the farm in Eaton County the tract was covered with the native timber, and practically the only improvement was a primitive log cabin. He reclaimed the farm to cultivation, making the best of improvements on the same and becoming one of the leading representatives of the agricultural industry in his section. In 1865 Mr. Shaver manifested his patriotism by tendering his services in defense of the Union, enlisting in Company E, Ninth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, with which he continued in active service until the close of the war, having been mustered out in June 1865, and having been awarded an honorable discharge. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics he gave an unwavering allegiance to the Republican party, while he served two terms as supervisor of Carmel township and one term as drain commissioner. He always took a deep interest in local affairs and enjoyed uniform respect and popularity in the community in which he so long made his home. When he first came to Carmel Township he purchased one hundred and twenty acres, and he hired a man to clear ten acres on one corner of the tract, and he then continued to personally carry forward the work of reclamation and improvement. In Ashland county, Ohio, in 1852, was solemnized the marriage of John Shaver to Miss Martha Ann Andrews, daughter of James and Lydia Andrews, both of whom were born in Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Ohio in an early day, there passing the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Shaver survives her honored husband and still resided on the old homestead, with her sons. Mr. And Mrs. Shaver became the parents of eight children, namely; Adin, Lawrence, Alice, Adeline, Hulbert, Clara, Wilson, and one who died in infancy, having been the fifth in order of birth. Adeline also is deceased. Clara is the wife of Horace L. Dean. The homestead farm has been divided between the four sons, Hulbert and Wilson owning fifty acres in partnership, while Adin and Lawrence are associated in the ownership of one hundred and ten acres. The substantial residence and other excellent farm buildings are located on the allotment last mentioned. The mother is a member of the Methodist Protestant church, as was also her husband. Hulbert Shaver, the sixth in order of birth of the children of John and Martha A. Shaver, was born on the present homestead, in Carmel Township, July 20, 1863, and since the death of his father he has been associated with his younger brother, Wilson, in the operation of the portion of the farm, which they jointly own. He is a stalwart in the camp of the Republican Party in his county, and is now serving his second year as treasurer of Carmel Township. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, being identified with the lodge and chapter in Charlotte. He is a bachelor. Wilson Shaver was born in this township October 20, 1870, and has always remained on the home farm, while he likewise is a stanch supporter of the principles and policies of the Republican Party. In 1898 was solemnized his marriage to Miss Blanche Dean, daughter of William Dean, a prominent farmer of the county.