CHARLES JACKSON had been a resident of Eaton County for nearly half a century and is one of the substantial farmers and highly esteemed citizens of Sunfield Township, his attractive homestead being located in section 12. Mr. Jackson was born in Cambridgeshire, England, February 11, 1834, being a son of John and Mary Ann Jackson, concerning whom some specific mention is made in the sketch of their son, Mann Jackson, appearing on other pages of this work. Charles Jackson received his educational training in the schools of his native land where he was reared to the age of eighteen years. He then came to America, landing in New York City in April, 1852, after having been four weeks and two days on the ocean, the voyage having been made in a sailing vessel of the type common to that period. He found employment on a farm in Wayne county, New York, where he remained four years, at the expiration of which, in 1856, he came to Michigan, passing the greater portion of the first year on a farm near Portland, Ionia County. In 1857 he came to Eaton County and purchased forty acres of his present homestead, reclaiming the land from the virgin forest and later purchasing an adjoining tract of forty acres in the same township and forty acres across the road, in Roxand Township, so that his landed estate now comprises one hundred and twenty acres, the same being well improved and constituting one of the valuable farms of this part of the county. The house is a commodious frame structure, and on the place are two large barns and other excellent buildings. When he first took up residence on his homestead, Mr. Jackson built a log house of the type common to the pioneer epoch, and this continued to be the family home for a period of twenty years, being then replaced by the present comfortable frame dwelling. Mr. Jackson gives his allegiance to the Republican Party and takes a lively interest in local affairs, but he has never consented to become a candidate for office, save that of pathmaster, in which he served several terms. He and his wife have been members of the Baptist church for more than twenty years. May 1, 1859, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Jackson to Miss Keziah Dilley, who was born both native of England, where the former was in England, September 11, 1839, being a daughter of John and Sarah (Patte) Dilley, born June 7, 1810, and the latter December 9, 1812, both passing the closing years of their lives in Sunfield Township, this county, where the father died December 3, 1893, and the mother March 3, 1896. they came from England in 1856 and took up their residence in Eaton County, Mr. Dilley buying forty acres of wild land, in Sunfield Township, there reclaiming a good farm, upon which he and his devoted wife passed the residue of their lives, the old homestead now being owned by their son, Robert. They became the parents of ten children: Keziah died in England, at the age of one year; Josiah is a resident of Portland, Ionia County; Mrs. Jackson was next in order of birth; David, John, Mercy, Frank, Jonas and Mercy (2d) are deceased; and Robert resides in the village of Sunfield and is employed as a rural mail carrier. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have three children: Mary, who was born March 8, 1860, is the wife of Wallace Austin, of Roxand township, and they have six children; James, who was born September 26, 1866, resides with his family in the parental home and has charge of the farm; he married Miss May Lippencott and they have three children; May, who was born March 25, 1875, is the wife of Lawrence Knapp, of Ionia County, and they have one child.