EUGENE BROWN is one of the successful farmers and stock-growers of Kalamo township, his well ordered homestead, of eighty acres, being located in section 18, Kalamo township. He is a native of Eaton County, having been born in the township in which he now resides, January 4, 1857, and being a son of Adam and Fidelia (Wilson) Brown, both of whom were born in Genesee County, New York, in which state their marriage was solemnized. The father was born in the year 1851, and died, in Kalamo Township, in 1897. The mother died in the same township in 1858, about two years after the removal of the family to Michigan. Of the two children, the subject of this sketch is the elder, his brother, Duane, being now engaged in the hotel business at Cadillac, this state: he married Miss Rhoda Howe and they have one son. For his second wife Adam Brown married Miss Mary Harrison, who is not deceased, three children having been born to this union: Alma is the wife of Edward Alphin, of East Tawas, Michigan; Lena is the wife of Albert Decker, of Kalamo Township; and Alice is the wife of Daniel Youngs, of Westminster, California. Adam Brown came to Michigan and located in Kalamo Township, this county, in April, 1856, purchasing eighty acres of timbered land, on which he erected his primitive log house. He cleared and otherwise improved this tract, and later secured an adjoining eighty acres, which he likewise reclaimed to cultivation. At one time he owned three hundred acres in this county, and at the time of his death was the owner of one hundred and sixty acres. He was a man of sterling character and was held in high esteem in the community. Eugene Brown was reared on the old homestead which was the place of his birth and his educational advantages were those offered by the district schools. He early became familiar with the varied details of farm work, and that he has not severed his allegiance to the independent life of the farmer signifies that he has found a due measure of satisfaction and profit in his individual operations. At the age of twenty-four years he left the home farm, and thereafter worked land on shares for several years. In 1889 he purchased eighty acres of land in Vermontville township, retaining this property until 1893, when he exchanged the same for his present farm, of equal area. this latter was originally swamp land to a large extent, but he has instituted an effective system of drainage and the soil is of exceptional fertility. He is energetic and far-sighted and has been very successful in the development of his farm, which he has improved with good buildings. He is a staunch adherent of the Republican party, of which his father was a member. He is affiliated with the Knights of the Maccabees and formerly held membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen. November 24, 1880, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Ella Hampton, daughter of Daniel and Sophia (Ford) Hampton, both of whom were born in the state of New York, whence they came to Michigan in an early day, being now resident of Chester Township, this county. Mr. Hampton was one of the early settlers of Eaton Rapids, where he resided until purchasing his present farm, which he reclaimed from the virgin forest, making all the improvements on the place. Of his six children it may be recorded that Earl is a resident of Charlotte, Nora of Benton Township, Martha of Carmel Township, Ella is the wife of the subject of this sketch, and Elmer and Edward remain at the parental home. Mr. and Mrs. Brown became the parents of six children, one of whom died in infancy. the others remain members of the home circle, namely: Roy, born February 21, 1883; Clara, April 29, 1886; Elma, February 22, 1889; Olin, May 6, 1891; and Orno, June 18, 1895.