ALBERT M. BARBER
ALBERT M. BARBER, who is now living in the city of Charlotte, is a native of Eaton county, a member of one of its old and honored families, and has personally been a prominent and successful business man, as will be revealed in this brief sketch. He was born in Vermontville, this county, May 14, 1846, and is a son of Edward H. and Laura E. (Root) Barber, both of whom were born in the state of Vermont, the respective families having early been founded in New England. The parents were numbered among the early pioneers of Eaton county, where they took up their residence in 1837, which year marked the admission of the state to the Union. The father secured large tracts of government land, having owned at one time fully two thousand acres, while he reclaimed much land to cultivation, thus aiding in ushering in the era of development and progress. He was of that sturdy type of which the true pioneer must ever be, having the rugged honesty and virile strength which the mountains of his native state seem to beget,-"The mountains still are free; they hurl oppression back; they keep the boon of liberty." Edward H. Barber wielded much influence in the material and civic affairs of the county in the early days, and here he continued to reside until his death, which occurred in 1863. His widow long survived him, being summoned to the life eternal April 26, 1891, at the venerable age of eighty years. He had been previously married, and the children of the first union were four in number and of the second, five. The older children were born in Vermont, where the first wife died, but all those of the second marriage were born after the removal of the family to Eaton county, Michigan. Albert M. Barber was reared to manhood in this county, in whose schools he secured his educational training. As a youth he was employed for some time as clerk in the general store in Vermontville, where he was made the first station agent of the Michigan Central Railroad after its line had been completed through the town. He was employed as rnercantile salesman about four years, after which he was for a time partner in a general store in his native town. Finally he became associated with his brother, Marshall F., in the purchase of a hardware and agricultural implement business in Vermontville. In 1552 he disposed of his interests in this enterprise and removed to Charlotte, where he was identified with the same line of business until the spring of 1904, the firm title having been in turn: Barber, Green & Company, Barber & Merritt, and Barber & Spencer. From the time of attaining his majority Mr. Barber has given an unswerving support to the Republican party, and he has held various local offices of public trust. He was city treasurer of Charlotte for two years, and served one year as mayor, giving a most business-like and satisfactory administration of the municipal government. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Renevolent & Protective Order of Elks, and the Knights of Pythias, being held in high regard in both the business and social circles of his home city, where he has very considerable capitalistic interests. Mrs. Barber is a member of the Congregational church. December 24, 1872, Mr. Barber was united in marriage to Miss Ella Harroun, of Barry county, a daughter of Seth Harroun, who came to Michigan from the state of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Barber became the parents of three children, the eldest, Frederick H., having died in early childhood. Bess L., who is a graduate of the University of Michigan, is now the wife of Horace A. Hamilton, of Charlotte. C. Royal, who was graduated in the high school and who was a student in the University of Michigan for two years, is now a traveling salesman for a Detroit business house.