EPHRIAM H. BAILEY
EPHRIAM H. BAILEY, of Charlotte, has been a resident of this city for more than forty-five years and is one of the representative citizens and business men of the county. He is the owner of a well appointed music store, giving his personal supervision to the same, and he has been long and prominently identified with musical affairs in this section and is known as a cultured and appreciative musician. Mr. bailey was born in Yorkshire, England, March 4, 1832, and is a son of James and Sovinah (Pitchforth) Bailey, both of whom were likewise born in England, where they continued to reside until 1842, when they came to America, and forthwith located in Eaton County, Michigan, becoming pioneers of the county. The father secured forty acres of wild land, near the present village of Chester, but he finally sold this property and took up his residence in Battle Creek, Calhoun county, where he engaged in teaching music, also in the silk business, having been a silk-weaver by trade. He eventually returned to Eaton County, and he was one of the pioneer music teachers in this section of the state, where his services were much in demand, and where he gained a high degree of popularity. He died in 1887 and his wife passed away in 1881. both were members of the established church of England prior to coming to America, and here they naturally became communicants of the American branch, the Protestant Episcopal Church. While a resident of Yorkshire, England, he had charge of the music in one of the old and historic parish churches. James and Sovinah Bailey became the parents of nine children, of whom five are living. the names of the children are here entered in the order of birth: Jessie, Ephraim H., Manasseh, Miriam, Cyrus, Asenath, Mary, Joseph and James. Ephraim H. Bailey, the immediate subject of this review, received his early educational discipline in England, having been ten years of age at the time of the family removal to America. Here he continued his academic studies as opportunity afforded, while he received exceptional advantages in the way of prosecuting his musical studies, his training having early been initiated under the direction of his able father. He attended musical conservatories in both New York and Boston, under such well known instructors as Drs. Lowell Mason, George J. Webb and George F. Root. He was engaged in teaching music in the states of Indiana and Michigan from 1855 to 1860, in which latter year he located in Charlotte, Michigan, having come hither principally for the purpose of studying languages under the tutorship of Professor O. S. Ingham. In 1860 he took up his permanent residence in Charlotte, and here he has been engaged in his present line of business since 1860. His name is a familiar one throughout this section of the state and he has a wide circle of loyal friends. He owns the business block which he utilizes as his headquarters and is also the owner of other valuable property in Charlotte. He is a Republican in his po9litical proclivities, and he is identified with the Swedenborgian church in the city of Detroit. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Good Templars. September 10, 1859, Mr. Bailey was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Ann Jones, whose father was one of the pioneers of this section of the Wolverine state. they have no children. Mr. Bailey was actively engaged in teaching music for a period of twenty years, and still consents to give instruction to a few select pupils, while he has written many excellent musical scores, both vocal and instrumental, finding much satisfaction in such composition. He is now alone in his business, in which he was formerly associated with his brother, under the firm title of E. H. & J. A. Bailey.