CHESTER M. AMBROSE, one of the representative business men of Vermontville, where he is successfully established in the retail grocery trade, is a native of the old buckeye state, having been born in LaGrange, Lorain County, Ohio, January 22, 1850, and being a son of David M. and Mary (Manville) Ambrose, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania and died in LaGrange, Ohio, of typhoid fever, at the age of thirty-five years, while the latter, who was born in the state of New York, died in Vermontville, Michigan, at the age of sixty-two years. After the death of her first husband Mrs. Ambrose became the wife of Myron Bronson, who now resides in Hastings, Michigan. David M. Ambrose followed the vocation of farming, having been the owner of a farm in Lorain County, Ohio, at the time of his death. Of his three children, the subject of this sketch was the first born. George D. resides in Hastings, Michigan, and Frank F. makes his home in Vermontville. Of the second marriage of the mother was born one son, Fay, who resides in Hastings. Chester M. Ambrose secured his educational discipline principally in the public schools of Vermontville, to which place his mother and step-father removed from Ohio when he was a child. at the age of sixteen years he left home, and for two years he was employed as salesman in the mercantile establishment of W. H. Benedict, of Vermontville, while for the ensuing three years he held a similar position in the store of the firm of Barber & Martin, and then was with H. J. Martin two years. At the age of twenty-five years he became a member of the firm of Barber, Hull & Ambrose, engaged in the general merchandise business, and later the firm title, by a change in one of the interested principals, became Barber, Ambrose & Rockwell, and finally Barber & Ambrose. Messrs. Barber and Ambrose continued to be thus associated until 1900, when Mr. Ambrose disposed of his interest and purchased the grocery business of W. H. Benedict, having a well equipped and attractively appointed establishment and catering to a large and representative patronage. He is the sole proprietor of the business. Mr. Ambrose had been a supporter of the cause of the Republican Party until 1896, when he manifested the courage of his convictions by aligning himself as an advocate of the free-silver policy, voting for Bryan for President and having himself elected county treasurer on the ticket of that year, holding the office two years and giving a most satisfactory administration of the fiscal affairs of the county. Aside from this office he has held no other save that of township clerk. In political matters he now stands quite independent of partisan domination or influence, voting in accord with the dictates of his judgment, both in national and local affairs. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity, and he and his family attend and support the Congregational Church. Mr. Ambrose is held in high regard in the community, is known as a reliable and enterprising business man and as a citizen of utmost loyalty. In 1875 Mr. Ambrose was united in marriage to Miss Jessie L. Kenedy, who was born in Pennsylvania, being a daughter of Talma R. Kenedy, who was for many years a prominent farmer of Vermontville Township, where he remained until his death. His wife, whose maiden name was Helen M. Tanner, still resides with her son, Durward R., on the old homestead, which is one of the valuable farms of Eaton county. Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose have two children. Agnes V. was graduated from the conservatory of music of Olivet college, as a member of the class of 1905, having gained the highest of endorsement from the faculty by reason of her superior talent and proficiency in music. Harry L., who held for four years a clerical position in the Merchants' National Bank of charlotte, is now associated with his father in conducting the grocery business, being one of the popular young business men of Vermontville.