DOCTOR CHARLES N. SNYDER, M. D.
SHAYTOWN, SUNFIELD TOWNSHIP
EATON COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Charles N. Snyder, M. D.
Miss Maggie Collie
Charles N. Snyder, M. D. of Shaytown, one of the leading physicians of Eaton County, located here in 1875 and has since been constantly engaged in practice. He was born in Chemung, Chemung County, New York, May 12, 1851, and is a son of John A. and Fannie M. (Palmitier) Snyder, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of the Empire State. The Snyder family is of German and Irish origin and was founded in America at an early day. Henry and Katie (Cooper) Snyder, the grandparents of our subject, were both natives of Canada but removed to Chemung County, New York, where they spent the remainder of their lives. He was a soldier in the War of 1812.
John A. Snyder has made farming his life occupation. He married Miss Palmitier, daughter of Thomas and Martha (Davenport) Palmitier, natives of New York and of French and German descent. They emigrated to Michigan and died in Johnstown, Barry County. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder began their domestic life in Chemung County, New York and there they resided until 1862, when they also traveling westward made a home in Barry County, Michigan. Afterward, however, they removed from Johnstown to Hastings, Michigan, where Mr. Snyder is still living at the age of seventy-three. His wife died in 1865 at the age of forty six years. She was a member of the Methodist Church as is her husband. In politics he is a supporter of Republican principles.
The parental family numbers seven children: Henry, who is now a practicing physician of Hastings, Michigan; Thomas, deceased; George W., who is engaged in the practice of the medical profession in Sebewa, Ionia County, Michigan; Francis M., a resident farmer of Hastings; Charles N.; John L., a farmer and minister of the United Brethren Church, living in Hastings; and James A., an agriculturist of the town of Roxana, Eaton County.
The first twelve years of his life our subject spent under his father's roof in New York and then accompanied his parents to Michigan where he completed his education in the district schools. He remained at home until he had attained his majority, when he began work for himself. Not desiring to follow the pursuit to which he had been reared he resolved to enter upon a professional career, and to this end began reading medicine with his brother, Dr. Henry Snyder, of Howard City. Subsequently, he was graduated from the Eclectic Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio, and entered upon the practice of his chosen profession in Shaytown in 1875. To say that he was then in limited circumstances would be putting it mildly for he had no moneyed capital whatever. However, he was well supplied with skill and ability for his work and from the beginning he has had a large and lucrative practice which is constantly increasing. Few, if any, other physicians in the county are doing a better business, which fact indicates that he stands in the front rank of the medical practitioners in this community. He devotes his entire attention to the business, is a constant student and has one of the largest medical libraries in the county, containing some one hundred volumes.
On February 26, 1875, the Doctor was united in marriage with Miss Helen H. Youngs, of Barry County, Michigan. The bride was born in Orangeville October 7, 1852, and was a daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Wheaton) Youngs, who were natives of New York. She died after a short married life of eight years on November 9, 1883, leaving a daughter, Mabel, who is now ten years of age. On August 16, 1887, Dr. Snyder and Miss Maggie Colley were married in Vermontville, where for five years she had been engaged in teaching. Mrs Snyder is a lady of culture and intelligence and since coming to her new home has made many friends. She was born in Woodstock, Canada, March 5, 1860, and is a daughter of John and Ann (Fleming) Colley, natives of Scotland. One child graces their union, Charles N., Jr., aged two years.
The Doctor is a Knight Templar Mason, belonging to the Charlotte Commandery, No. 37, K. T. and also holds membership with the Odd Fellows society in Shaytown. In politics he is a most stalwart Republican, warmly advocating the party principles and taking great interest in political affairs and the success of Republicanism. Few men are better known in Eaton County than Dr. Snyder and none are held in higher regard. Those whom he is called upon to visit professionally he leaves his warm friends and the esteem, which is accorded him is justly merited. In connection with this brief biographical review we present to our readers a lithographic portrait of the Doctor.
BARRY AND EATON COUNTIES, PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM (1891), EATON COUNTY, MI
*NOTES OF INTERST* compiled by Max McWhorter
Wedding Invitation - Dr. Chas. N. Snyder & Miss Maggie Collie
Copyright ©2001-2008 by Max E. McWhorter. All rights reserved.
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated
in any fashion without my consent.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. Individual genealogists may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY". It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster.